RentMyRide for Owners
How does RentMyRide work for Owners
List your car
List your car and start putting your car to work. Register to create an account and then click on “List your car”. Our calculator will suggest a daily rate that you should rent your car out for. Follow the steps and make sure you add quality photos to increase the likelihood of your car being rented out.
Respond to rental requests
In no time you will start receiving rental requests via email and SMS. All renters are pre-screened by us, but you decide who gets to rent your car. Respond to the requests and answer any questions the renter may have before accepting the booking request.
Accept a request
Once you are happy, accept the booking request and once payment has been made you will be notified. During the rental, your car is covered by our fully comprehensive insurance policy.
Meet your renter
Prior to the rental start date, agree on a place to give the renter your keys and do a vehicle inspection and sign the trip checklist together with the renter. This document will be sent to you when you accept the booking request. The renter can collect the car from you or alternatively you can decide to drop off the vehicle at the renter and ask for an additional delivery fee.
Pick up your car
When the rental period is over, the renter will drop the car off with you. You will do a final inspection of the vehicle and sign the trip checklist together with the renter and then get your keys back.
RentMyRide will pay your earnings on the 25th of the month into your nominated bank account. If there are any extra charges, (e.g. the fuel is not on the same level as when you delivered the car). Please make sure to send us the trip checklist immediately after the rental ended and the receipts.
Review the renter
You will receive a review request via email and SMS where you can rate your experience and review the renter. Reviews are important to us as they help us maintain our level of service and the quality of our renter community.
What is required from me to list my car?
To list your vehicle on RentMyRide, your car will need to meet our eligibility requirements. You must also satisfy the maintenance and safety requirements, and your vehicle must be registered to you — you cannot list a vehicle that belongs to someone else. If your vehicle is leased or financed, you should check the policies of your lease agreement or finance terms before attempting to list it on RentMyRide.
You will need the following information in order to list your vehicle:
- Vehicle’s license plate number;
- Vehicle’s make, model, and year;
- Vehicle VIN Number (you can find this number on your license disk inside the windscreen);
- At least six good photos of your car. We strongly recommend at least four pictures showing the exterior of the car with one picture showing the interior and one of the dashboard. Please be sure to only upload pictures of your vehicle;
- A description of your vehicle. We recommend including 1) An explanation of why renters should choose your vehicle, 2) any special features (sunroof, great music system, heated seats, etc.), and 3) any requirements such as the need to refill with diesel fuel. A more detailed description will help drive more renters to your listing!
If you want to list your vehicle, please create a profile and then click the button ‘List your car’. It will just take less than 10 minutes.
What responsibilities do I have?
RentMyRide is not only a platform but also a community of like-minded individuals, working together to make the world a little greener and transportation a little smarter. As such, it’s critical that renters and owners treat each other with the utmost respect.
Make sure you:
- Create a comprehensive description of your car and special things the renter should be aware of — this will streamline the process for both you and your renters.
- Promptly accept or decline Pending Trips (if you don’t respond in less than 24 hours, the request will automatically expire, and after 2 expirations, your car may be removed from the marketplace).
- Respond promptly and courteously to renter inquiries.
- Be on time for the vehicle exchange at pick up and return.
- Keep your car clean, well-maintained, and smoke-free.
- Remove any personal belongings (they are not covered for replacement)
- Verify the driver’s license of the renter at the start of the trip*.
- Use the Trip Checklist to document fuel level, current kilometers, and any damage to the car before and after the trip.
- Leave feedback after every rental.
- Be nice and follow the community rules!
Read more about our special maintenance requirements here. If the car fails due to mechanical problems, you are responsible for it, including all associated costs.
*When checking the renter’s driver’s license, take a photo for your records. The renter may comply or seek an alternative to preserving his/her privacy (e.g., blocking out some of her personal information). You have the right to refuse the trip if they do not wish to allow you to make a copy or take a photograph of the license, but we ask that you try to find a compromise.
Who is responsible for the normal “wear and tear” of the vehicle?
Normal “wear and tear” that is part of the normal operation of a vehicle is an inherent part of renting out a car; the owner is not “protected” against normal wear and tear, nor is the renter “responsible” for wear and tear resulting from normal usage of the car. Wear and tear may include engine wear, brake and suspension wear, weathering of the paint due to sun exposure.
However, renters are fully responsible for, and RentMyRide does not provide any protection to renters for 1) any damage related to “misuse” or Prohibited Uses of the vehicle, 2) any damage to the interior of the car, or 3) any mechanical damage resulting from a renter’s improper driving (e.g, clutch damage from rough driving, suspension damage from running over speed bumps at high speed or into curbs, continuing to drive with warning indicator lights illuminated, etc).
Clutch damage is handled separately and our policy can be found here.
RentMyRide for Renters
How does RentMyRide work for Renters?
Find a car to rent
Create an account and then perform a search using filters to find your perfect car to rent. The owner has 24hours to confirm the booking, but they often respond much faster.
Request to book it
Once you’ve found the rental car of your dreams, click “Book Now” to send a booking request to the owner.
Once payment has been made and the owner of the car has accepted your booking request, you can arrange for collection prior to the start of the rental period.
Pick up the car
Arrange to pick up the car from the owner or alternatively some owners will deliver the car to you for an additional fee. Together with the owner, you conduct a vehicle inspection and sign the trip checklist. Make sure to ask the owner for a copy of the signed trip checklist or make a photo with your phone so you have a copy. If something happens during the rental you will be covered by our 24/7 nationwide roadside assistance.
Return the car
When you are finished with the car, return the car to the owner in good shape and with a full tank, as you received it.
Review the car
You will receive a review request via email and sms where you can rate your experience and the car you drove. Reviews are important to us as they help us maintain our level of service and the quality of vehicles on our platform.
Who can rent from RentMyRide
Am I eligible for renting from RentMyRide?
When you want to rent a car from RentMyRide you must meet our eligibility requirements.
While we reserve the right to decline a renter for any reason, the following are the general requirements:
- You must possess a current, valid driver’s license;
- You must be the owner of the driver’s license;
- You must have passed our Verification check;
- You must have a valid email address and have a mobile phone in your own name that we can verify through a text message or email;
- If you have a foreign license that is not in English, you must submit an English translation of your driving license (e.g. an International Driver’s Permit), in addition to the original documentation, please provide the following documentation, see: ‘Foreign License’.
*In order to help validate your identity, we will require your ID, a profile photo, and driver’s license.
Who will rent my car?
Each owner on the RentMyRide platform decides which approved renter can book their vehicle.
Renters must meet our stringent eligibility requirements, which include going through a verification check which includes an ID and a credit check. You will have the opportunity to message prospective renters before you decide to accept the booking. You can review each renter’s profile, which may include personal information about them, information about the number of trips he or she has taken, and any reviews and ratings given by other car owners.
Remember, a trip is not valid until you have formally confirmed the Booking Request of a fully approved renter through the RentMyRide system. If you or the renter have any questions about whether a trip is booked, you should consult your Dashboard to see if the trip has changed from “Pending” to “Booked.”
Owners should visit their Dashboard page to confirm that a trip is “Booked” before handover. You should never give your keys to a renter when a trip is not ‘Booked’. When you do give your keys to a renter when the trip is not ‘Booked’, your vehicle will not be covered by our insurance and you won’t receive any earnings.
Also, see ‘secondary drivers’.
Who can list vehicles on RentMyRide
Which cars do you accept on your website?
We accept passenger cars, bakkies and light commercial vehicles (LCVs) registered anywhere in South Africa that are 10 years or younger with an odometer reading less than 200 000 kms and a retail value up to R300 000. A tracking unit is compulsory (if you do not have a tracking unit installed we have a partnership with tracker for free fitment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange free fitment).
Retail value to be confirmed after Insurance Integration
Which cars do you NOT accept on your website?
Any vehicle that requires a commercial license (i.e. higher than Code 08 is not eligible). The following is a list of vehicles that are ineligible: cargo vans, box trucks, motor homes, vehicles requiring a commercial license to operate legally on public roads, vehicles designed primarily for off-road use, farm equipment, construction equipment, motorcycles, or vehicles not designed for highway use.
I have a lease car can I list my car on your website?
Every car that meets our listings standards is welcome on our website. Though, you should double-check the terms and conditions of your lease or financing contracts to confirm there are no restrictions on renting it out via a car-sharing platform. Whether your car is leased or not, your vehicle will be covered during an active rental booking.
Signing up is quick and easy
How do I sign up and how long does it take?
Signing up is quick and easy and shouldn’t take longer than 2 minutes. To join RentMyRide you must sign up for an account using your Google Account or Email address. Once you’ve created an account, you can browse the RentMyRide platform, search for vehicles to rent, or list your own vehicle to be rented.
Once you have your account set up, additional information will be required in order to rent or list a vehicle for verification purposes. If you have all the necessary documents, this process shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.
How are rental days calculated?
Rental days are calculated as half a day on the pickup date and half a day on the return date. For example, a renter picks up a car on Friday at 09:00 and returns it on Friday the next week at 20:00, which would be calculated as 7 days.
Rental days are calculated in increments of days, so pick-up and drop-off times do not influence the number of days in the calculation of the number of rental days.
When is a trip booked?
A trip is booked when it shows as “Confirmed” in your Dashboard. This will happen immediately after the “Booking Request” has been approved and paid for. You will also get notifications of the booking by SMS and e-mail.
A security deposit may be required before the booking starts, and if the payment fails, your request will be cancelled.
Never give your keys to someone who does not have a Booked Trip, and don’t forget it is your responsibility to check the driver’s license and verify their identity when they come to pick up your car. Only the person who reserved the vehicle may drive during the trip unless the additional driver(s) are approved RentMyRide drivers. If you have any questions about their status, you may contact us to confirm this information. For more information on secondary drivers, click here.
Earning potential with RentMyRide
How much can I earn by renting out my car?
We have a calculator on our website which will show you how much you can earn.
On the homepage scroll down to the “See what you can earn” section.
Here you only need to fill in the value of your vehicle, which determines your daily rate. The daily rate is multiplied by the number of days you expect to rent the car out. This will give you an estimate of your monthly earnings.
What will I earn?
RentMyRide car owners receive 70% of the rental price and any excess kilometre charges. For the 30% fee RentMyRide provides car owners with:
- Free listings
- An online booking management system
- 24/7 roadside assistance cover
- Secure online payments
- Renter screening
- Online marketing to drive renters to your car
- Insurance Cover.
Are my earnings Taxable?
As a general statement, income earned by renting out your car is taxable. It is the owner’s responsibility to consult with SARS when filing a Tax Return.
There may be deductions you might be able to take against this income, i.e., some vehicle expenses, depreciation, etc. Please consult your tax professional to determine tax treatment for your car sharing activities, and retain all relevant documentation.
This statement is provided for information purposes only and is not intended to constitute tax advice.
Setting your car’s availability
How do I set my car’s availability?
How do I block out my car for personal use or maintenance?
Block out times when you or your car isn’t available. That means fewer requests you will have to decline and a better overall response rate.
To block dates:
- Go to your Owner Dashboard on RentMyRide.co.za/dashboard and click on My Vehicles
- Select your car and set the availability via the Calendar tab
- You can choose to set the vehicle as Available or Blocked for any specific dates, or for Weekends Only or Weekdays Only
How does pick up and drop off work?
Before the start of the booking, you will need to make arrangements with the owner to get the vehicle handed over. You will receive owner details and can message the owner through the RentMyRide messaging system or Whatsapp which you will receive once the booking request has been confirmed.
When you collect the car you should:
- Inspect the car with the owner to make sure you understand any special aspects of the car
- Record the fuel and mileage readings
- Ensure that any pre-existing damage is documented (so that you are not held responsible for it). All this information should be written down and signed for on the Trip Checklist which the owner will bring with them during the pick-up and drop-off. Make sure to get a copy of the checklist or take a photo with your phone.
- Show the owner your Driver’s License, as this is a required step to confirm your identity.
Please note: the owner may ask to take a photograph or make a copy of your driver’s license when checking the license. If you are uncomfortable with this, please attempt to find a compromise first (e.g. blocking out some of your personal information). If you refuse to allow a copy when asked, the owner has the right to refuse the booking.
Renters can e-mail email@example.com with photos of any pre-existing damage at the start of their reservation to ensure they are not held responsible for pre-existing damage.
How do I hand over my car to the renter?
We recommend that you call the renter 24 hours before their trip starts to arrange a meeting point and make sure there are no last-minute issues.
Before the renter arrives:
- Make sure all personal effects are out of the car. Note that we do not cover any personal items left in the car.
- Make sure your car is clean and has a full tank of fuel. We recommend that you fill the tank completely, so it is easy for you and the renter to tell that the fuel was replaced upon completion of their trip.
When the renter arrives to get your vehicle:
- Check their Driver’s License to make sure the person picking up your car is the person that made the booking.
- Do a complete walk-around of your car and agree on any existing damage, inside or outside the car. There is a Trip checklist available to download from your Owner Dashboard.
- Note, take a photo of the odometer reading and fuel level, which will serve as the agreement on the starting kilometres and fuel quantity.
When the renter returns the vehicle:
- Do another walk-around to ensure there is no new damage, check outside and inside your car.
- Check the fuel level and odometer reading and agree on whether or not the fuel was replaced, as well as if any excess kilometres were incurred.
- Note, take a photo of the odometer reading and fuel level, which will serve as the agreement on the ending kilometres and fuel quantity.
To report any issues with the car/trip, be it fuel level, excess mileage, damage, etc., we ask that you first contact the renter to discuss the situation and report the issues to us within 24hours after the trip ended. You should then email any additional charges that you incurred, along with any supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org within 2 days after the trip ended.
My renter is late, what do I do?
Renters are required to return the vehicle by the end of the rental period and to inform the owner if they will be late.
If a renter has not returned the vehicle or contacted you by the end of the rental period, don’t panic. Please first try to contact the renter to determine why they are late and when you can expect the vehicle to be returned. If you are unable to immediately reach the renter, we recommend giving them some additional time to get in contact with you.
Our customer service team will be available during business hours to assist you with getting in contact with the renter.
To impose late fees, please e-mail email@example.com if you would like to impose a late return fee please provide the renter’s name, date, and time of the late return, so we can invoice the renter in accordance with the late return policy. Also, take a look at ‘Fines and Fees’ and ‘What if my renter doesn’t want to return my car’.
The renter doesn’t want to return my car, what do I do?
In the unlikely event of a renter not wanting to return your car in time, please contact us as soon as possible. We will attempt to resolve the matter as quickly as possible. If there is no resolution you can report the car stolen by the renter, and get a police case number.
Because we are a platform connecting renters and owners, we have no way of determining if a car has not been returned or an extension to a booking has been made. The responsibility falls on the owner to inform us of any changes or if any issues arise.
Reviews and Ratings
Can I review/rate the renter/owner?
Yes, you can! And we highly appreciate it if you do. After the rental, you will receive an email and an sms to remind you to rate/review the trip. You can also log in to RentMyRide, click on your profile in the right top corner and go to ‘My Reviews’.
Responding to rental requests
How do I respond to a rental request?
When a renter wants to rent your car or extend an already booked trip, we will message you via sms and email.
You can then log into rentmyride.co.za and navigate to your RentMyRide Owner Dashboard.
Here, you’ll be able to approve or decline booking requests or extension requests.
Requests expire within 24 hours, and renters are waiting to hear from you, so please respond as quickly as possible.
If you believe a renter has a Booked Trip on your car but it does not show on this page, then the trip does NOT exist.
Reporting late returns
How do I report a late return?
If the renter returns your vehicle late, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name
- The name of the renter
- Details of the original trip (time and date)
- Details of the late return
We will confirm the late return with the renter, and proceed with billing the fee for this additional time (for more information about fees, click here). Please note that RentMyRide (Pty) Ltd provides the service of claiming fees from renters, though RentMyRide (Pty) Ltd is not liable for paying out any fees that are not paid for by the renter. Also, see the Late return policy.
Increase Rental Frequency
How can I get more rentals?
How to make your car more attractive to renters:
- Write a detailed, appealing description of your car.
- Make your car available as much as possible and respond to all requests quickly.
- Get good ratings and reviews. Your rating is displayed on the search results page, so it’s incumbent upon you to make sure to create great experiences for your renters.
- Upload quality photos of your car; renters love to see exterior and interior shots. We encourage you to upload up to 6 photos and to upload the best photo first, which will be the main photo displayed. Make sure your photos are looking fresh and are not cropped too much. Don’t use stock photos or photos that are not actually your car.
- Set competitive rates based on the type of car and its location. Renters will most probably choose a similar car that is cheaper.
- We recommend you use the daily rate via our calculator.
Advertise your car to your friends and co-workers via Facebook, Twitter, Gumtree, even on your blog if you have one!
Another way of creating more traffic for your car(s) is by using our ‘Rent Me’ sticker on your car. You can request a ‘Rent Me’ sticker by sending an email to email@example.com
How to get more rental requests
Here’s a tip to help you earn the most from renting out your car through RentMyRide.
Encourage people you already know to rent your car from you by sharing it in as many places as possible. Click on the Facebook, Twitter or Email link on your car’s profile and share your car quickly and easily to 100’s of potential renters. Sharing your car on these social networks will ensure greater visibility and much more rentals coming your way. Anyone that clicks on the link will go straight to your car’s profile on RentMyRide.
Booking a vehicle for another person
Can I book a car for my partner/child/friend?
If you would like to book for someone other than yourself, that person must sign up and create their own profile on our website and upload his/her driver’s license and go through our eligibility check. At this stage, the RentMyRide platform does not allow you to book and pay for another person. If you require anybody other than yourself to drive the booked vehicle you must inform RentMyRide and the owner.
Can someone other than the renter who booked the car drive in the car?
Only the named user on the trip has the right to drive an owner’s vehicle. Any potential secondary drivers must be approved by RentMyRide and granted permission by the owner. When a secondary driver wants to drive an owner’s car, this must be reported ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org and the secondary driver must create a profile on RentMyRide’s website and upload their driver’s license and go through our eligibility check.
If your passengers are approved RentMyRide drivers and granted permission by the owner, great! They can now also drive the car*. All drivers shall be jointly and severally liable for the rental, but the renter shall remain primarily liable for the rental.
*Please note: The person that booked the car must be the person that picks up and drops off the car unless an arrangement with the owner has been made.
Prohibited use of vehicles
Prohibited uses of vehicles
Engaging in any Prohibited Uses with a vehicle rented through the RentMyRide platform will be grounds for fines, suspension, or cancellation of your membership. Engaging in any Prohibited Uses will eliminate any coverage for the renter for any claims related to physical damage. It will also nullify coverage if the owner has encouraged the engagement in a prohibited use.
Prohibited vehicle uses and activities include:
- Allowing the RentMyRide vehicle to be pushed or towed by anyone other than an authorized law enforcement or service vehicle.
- Driving a manual transmission car without being an expert in the use of clutches and manual transmissions. Note: If the drivetrain of a manual transmission car is damaged, the renter will be presumed to be at fault and will be held fully liable for repair of any damaged components of the car.
- Permitting someone who is not an approved RentMyRide driver to drive a vehicle that is being rented through the RentMyRide platform.
RentMyRide does not permit cross-border traveling.
Using a RentMyRide vehicle:
- To tow or push.
- Other than on paved roads (whether “off-roading”, driving on unfinished roads or parking areas, or otherwise).
- In any race, test, or competition.
- With the intention to cause damage.
- With wanton, wilful, or reckless disregard for safety.
- To carry persons or property for hire, such as a taxi or parcel delivery service. You may, however, use the car for business purposes, such as attending meetings and carrying associated materials.
- Other than when a reservation has been booked. Using RentMyRide vehicles without reservations or outside your reservation time constitutes unauthorized use.
- During or due to use in the commission of a crime or any other illegal activity or purpose.
- While the driver is under the influence of alcohol above the legal limit or any drug or medication under the effects of which the operation of a vehicle is prohibited or not recommended.
- When it has been loaded beyond its rated capacity or with more passengers than the vehicle has seat belts.
- Outside the borders of South Africa.
without a valid license, or if you do not meet our Eligibility Requirements. It is your responsibility to inform us when your license is expired or suspended, or if you believe you may no longer meet our
- Eligibility Requirements.
- To transport any flammable, toxic, volatile, poisonous, dangerous or illegal substances.
- To transport a pet outside of a pet carrier that keeps all pet hair inside the carrier.
- To make any alterations, additions, or improvements to any vehicles; or to the vehicle itself.
- To smoke in the car.
- To fueling the vehicle with an improper type of fuel.
- 4×4 trails.
Tips and Tricks for Owners
Tips from a car owner
When we caught up with Cape Town-based RentMyRide member Ebrahim he shared this piece of advice:
“Communication is king, so anytime someone wants to rent my car, I respond immediately and then send them an email introducing myself. I also use the email as an opportunity to subtly hint at my expectations as to how my car should be treated, by mentioning that the renter will get a very tidy car with a full tank of fuel. In most cases, people get that this means I expect the same at the end of the rental.”
“The more you communicate with a potential renter, the more you seem like a real person, and the less you seem like a corporate car rental service…and the more likely you are to have a better experience renting out your car. People like to rent from people, that’s just how it is.”
In what condition should my car be in to rent it out?
You are required to ensure that your vehicle complies with all laws and regulations with regards to vehicle safety, condition and operation. We advise that you obtain a Safety Inspection at least every year to ensure your car is safe to operate. A typical Safety Inspection includes 14 key areas:
- Visual Overview
- Certificate of registration
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- License plate(s) Decal
- Brake Tests
- Parking brake
- Service brake
- Exhaust System
- Exhaust system components/Muffler
- Visible blue or black smoke
- Steering and Suspension
- Steering wheel and box
- Suspension/front end
- Sound horn to test for adequate signal
- The horn must be securely fastened to the vehicle
- Glazing, Glass, and Windshield Wipers
- Windshield wipers and washer
- Rear View Mirror
- Rearview mirror
- Mirrors (General)
- Lighting Devices
- Headlight correctly adjusted
- Hazard lights/directionals/stop/reverse lights/and license plate light(s)
- Tyres and Wheels
- Bumper, and Fuel Tank
- Floor pans
- Fuel tank
- Vehicle Frame or Chassis
- Altered Vehicle Height
- Seat Belts
- Fuel Tank Cap
Making your vehicle inactive
How do I temporarily remove my car from the site?
Hibernate – Your car is not visible in search and not rentable. Choose this during any downtime your vehicle experiences, for example, if you are on holiday or when the car is in for a service.
*Remember to make it public when it is available again!
How do I get there?
- Go to your Owner Dashboard on RentMyRide.co.za and click on Manage Cars;
- Select your car and click on Manage Unavailable Dates;
- At the top of the page select Change Visibility (Hibernate); and
- Select Hibernate and click Save.
Deactivating my RentMyRide Account
How do I remove my account from RmR
At this time, there is no formal way to close your RentMyRide account. However, for anyone with an existing account, we will never charge any membership fees, so you do not need to close your account in order to avoid charges.
If you decide you no longer wish to be a part of the RentMyRide marketplace, we will retain your information securely for insurance and auditing purposes but will exclude you from future marketing messages.
To proceed with closing your account, please send your request to email@example.com
RentMyRide Referral System
Do you have a referral system?
Yes, we have a referral system. If you would like to earn commission by referring RentMyRide to renters, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org